Monday, May 17, 2010

Farmer's Market - Sunday, May 16th

After what felt like an insanely short weekend, here I am.  Trying to figure out what would be best suited to write about.

I went to my very first farmer's market yesterday.  I went with my mom to the one in Schenectady, NY (held every weekend through the summer in front of City Hall, right on Jay Street).  I was able to walk away with some delicious goodies that were a lot cheaper than buying them at a grocery store.  I found some organic spinach hummus, fresh seasoned goat cheese (in an 8 oz cream cheese-sized tub for $7.  Score!), a couple of different bakeries that were present with some amazing fresh bread (I picked up San Francisco style sourdough and a loaf of rye with dill and caraway seeds).  My mom and I also found some bruschetta, the proceeds of which go directly to alleviating hunger (100% of the proceeds, not even just the profit but the whole shebang).  I found some annual plants through a local college's cooperative extension that I was able to get for a steal as well (I bought four four-packs of annuals and it cost me $10.  Pretty decent). 

The best part about this whole experience was that I was able to get all of these nice, local goods for generally under $5 each (the only exception was the goat cheese).  I walked into the farmer's market with $40 and walked out with cash to spare. 

The only part about the farmer's market that I didn't appreciate was that I drove nearly 20 minutes just from my parents' to get there (it was 35 minutes to get up to my parents' house to meet my mom so in reality it was closer to an hour) and upon arrival was then told that I was not allowed to bring Frankie in to the market.  There was a silly little sign by the "entrance" and a rather rude lady in an apron who told me that if I wanted to I could walk the perimeter of the market (you know, on the back sides of the booths where you can't purchase anything) or I could tether my dog somewhere.  I tend to be a relatively calm person but upon her suggesting I tether my dog I just about slapped her in the face - she obviously was not, nor had she ever been, a dog owner. 

Luckily it was a cool day and we were parked in a safe area of Schenectady.  We put Frankie in the car, vented all of the windows, and flew through the market as quickly as possible.  Upon leaving the market the same woman was harassing a woman with two Boxers that appeared to be very friendly - one adult and one puppy.  She was a lot less cordial to the "gatekeeper" than I was.  We both expressed the same concern - no where is it posted on the Greenmarket website that you are not allowed to bring dogs to the Greenmarket (as it's called), and it's held on a public street and, as far as I know, operated by the city of Schenectady.  Were it on private property I think that we would both have been a little more understanding of the regulations (and honestly, if it hadn't been on a city street I wouldn't have brought Frankie at all - the only reason I assumed she could come with us was because it was not held on private property).

Aside from the inconvenience involving Frankie (who, by the way, was very comfy in the car when we returned and must have slept the whole time) the Greenmarket was a nice little farmer's market.  I was able to get some nice plants, some good food, and everything was from farmers and artisans located in New York state.

Next weekend, I think Frankie and I will attempt to head up to the Farmer's Market in Saratoga Springs.  After all, Saratoga just became a dog friendly city (the kick off event was last Saturday).  For now, if you're considering visiting the Schenectady Greenmarket, just remember to leave your four legged friends at home... otherwise you will feel the wrath of the apron clad entrance lady!

No comments: