Thursday, May 13, 2010

Introduction to Madness

I've been reading.  I've been researching.  I've been occassionally ignoring tasks that are way more important than reading and researching (namely walking the dog and cleaning up the apartment.  And sleeping.  But that's partially because I haven't been walking the dog).

I've been painstakingly trying to discover the best methods for saving myself some money.  In this day in age, isn't that what everyone is trying to do?  I've found countless blogs out there that are literally devoted to the "frugal" life and noticed some things that were rather interesting.

1.) Nearly everything I've read is not only a "frugal" option for things that we use or do every day, but also a "green" one,

2.) I'm pretty sure my grandparents probably did some of this stuff back in the "good old days"

It's been really interesting.  My whole "project" if you will started out as a way to save myself some money.  Cash.  Dollar, dollar bill's, y'all.  You see, not only does the economy suck right now, but there is a generation of us that is relatively screwed until it gets better.  We would be those who graduated college (or were attending college and close to done) right when the economy started its downturn.  High college loans, a lack of jobs, and living on credit cards to supplement the balance has lead to a whole group of people that are forced to significantly change a lifestyle that became comfortable.  Very comfortable.  All of a sudden, individuals that are graduating college are moving home and working in fields completely unrelated to their chosen fields of study.  I'm part of a group of people that had to move home after college because affording rent was (and totally is) out of the question at this point.

I want to be able to afford to do all of the nice things that I used to do, except pay cash for them.  Also, having a savings account with more than some low two-digit figure in it would be nice too.

And, hell, if I'm doing all of that, why not reinvent my lifestyle in a way that will help out the planet too so that in case Nostradamus and the Aztecs weren't right then future generations will actually have a decent place to live, regardless of what kind of shape the economy is in?

So this will begin my little "journey" if you will (because it appears that that's what everyone calls stuff they do now - a journey.  Bandwagon, ho!).  There have been projects that I've started in the past few weeks that I'll be able to share (with pictures!  Because who doesn't want to see a pile of rot in a compost bin??), as I find information on varying topics I'll post links and information, and of course I'll keep you up to date on the madness that will ensue from everything that I'm doing (I live in an apartment where it took two months for me to convince the guys I'm living with that recycling bottles and cans wasn't a total waste of time so this could definitely be an interesting endeavor...). 

For now, you'll just have to wait in a state of quivering anticipation to see what will happen.  If I have to wait then darn it, you do too!

Have a fabulous day!

No comments: